Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Eastertide aka Paschal Time: The Mystery of Salvation

Eastertide or Paschal Time as it's also known will end soon; June 4th. This, in case you've forgotten, is the time when Jesus walked the earth as a resurrected human being. I've been contemplating how that must have felt. One of the questions that I've been thinking about is this: What did Jesus eat? How often did he eat? Did his body need the nutrients? Alongside the contemplation are also my real-life experiences. What is happening in the world around me, politically, culturally, and socially. Well, my social media feeds are filled with one group of friends all upset about the climate crisis while some of the same and many others continue undeterred in their 'conspicuous consumption' lifestyles and selfish obsessions. I'm so tired of the evangelical Christian hypocrisy that I've pretty much withdrawn from it all! But God as always is faithful, steadfast love.  Guess what the Bible and the Holy Spirit have led me to blessing me with much peace and harmony?

Salvation is why Jesus came to our world as human being, i.e. to save us from the power and consequences of sin. Thus, whether Jesus ate or not or how he lived after resurrection from crucifixion and before ascension is usually not one of the questions upon which theologians have pondered and pontificated. For an ordinary follower of Jesus though, salvation means that I now live in a new resurrected life with Christ.  A person who is now more aware than ever of the cost of my being in Christ. A person who is continuing to grow into the one God created me to be. This is the same God, who when he created humankind said: "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food." 

The solution, then, for me, is something I've done pretty much since I was "born again" and chose a simple lifestyle, and became "woke" too! I must give much, much more back to the world than I take from it! So it has been back to paying attention to all the little things including the big one, the mystery of salvation. Yes, Christ came to save us and has indeed saved us. Now, life on earth demands that we, faithful followers of Jesus, choose to live in ways that will nurture our planet, not destroy it. Thus, one Christian response to individual salvation is a genuine concern and care for environmental salvation, eco-justice, and environmental justice. And, here's how I do it.

Grow my own vegetables = Low carbon footprint = Save the planet

In the picture above, two different kinds of tomatoes are being grow: indigo rose and cherry red which has naturalized in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.