Friday, April 7, 2017

Planting Gardens

What a divine affirmation! This is one of the most beautiful things about reading the Bible every day, first thing. The Bible can speak to us, if we only have the ears to hear and the heart to listen.

Today, I read again Jeremiah's Letter to the Exiles in Babylon (Jer. 29: 1-14). In my NRSV Bible, verse 7 is underlined: But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare, you will find your welfare.
My favorite is, as I've mentioned before, the commandment that precedes it: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there and do not decrease. (Jer. 29: 5-6)

The Holy Spirit is encouraging me today as I continue my pursuit of holy living, seeking to be a praise for God's glory, and a witness to the disbelieving world of the love and sacrifice of Jesus, whose image I bear:  To eat from my garden as much as I can. I'm going to try to develop recipes and meal plans only around the greens, veggies, and fruits that bear during the different seasons: Swiss chard, Curly Blue Kale, French sorrel, Artichokes, Hyacinth Beans, Peppers, Tomatoes and Squash, Apples, Apricots, Blueberries, Guavas, Kumquats, Lemons, Limes, Oranges, and Pomegranates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.