Monday, July 21, 2014

Would you step into my shoes and walk with me just one mile?

"In Matthew 5, Jesus instructs that if someone makes you go one mile, go with them two miles," 21-year old Matthew Vines of Wichita, Kansas, said on his video that reportedly went viral in 2012. Then, he asked: "Would you step into my shoes and walk with me just one mile, even if it makes you uncomfortable?" (Btw, Matthew's video has over 15,000 comments on YouTube!) I decided to give this young man a little bit of my time and listen to his video (1 hour 7 minutes long). I hope you will too.

Listen to this extraordinary young man who took a leave of absence from his studies at Harvard University to learn about the complex issues he presents in the video. Or if you like me, prefer to read rather than listen/watch a video, you can read the transcript here: http://www.matthewvines.com/transcript/. Be warned its not an easy Bible study at all.


I stumbled upon this video in this way. A friend sent me the link to an article on Politico.com by Jim Hinch who writes about religion for the Orange County Register: Evangelicals are Changing their Minds about Gay Marriage and the Bible isn't Getting in the Way. The July 7th (2014) article follows up Matthew Vines who's now 24-years old and the author of God and the Gay Christian (published in April 2014). I encourage you to read the article by Hinch. Jim concludes, "In evangelical communities like Amy Tincher’s, the transformation is still a work in progress." Transformation is the Holy Spirit's work. "Do not be conformed to this world,but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.