Wednesday, July 23, 2014

1000 Forms of Fear (Sia): Music Album

From the movie Hunger Games: Catching Fire I liked Elastic Heart.  I also like David Guetta's Titanium. I like these two songs very much. Not just for their catchy tunes and disco dance beat but for their meaningful lyrics. Both songs are the product of Australian singing sensation Sia. Now, Sia's album 1000 Forms of Fear is the Number One album on the Billboards (I believe). I am surprised because songs I like, typically, don't climb the charts :).
I don't know much about Sia's personal life. I just like her songs. They are deep and not just the usual easy pop ballads. Recently, a friend told me she'd appeared on the Ellen De Generes TV show and performed the runaway hit from her 1000 Forms of Fear album, Chandelier. Sia would not face the audience the entire time she sang the song. Instead, shes tood in a corner and belted out the song while the talented 11-year old Maggie Ziegler of Dance Moms fame, recreated the song's video performance for the audience. My friend wondered if it was a publicity stunt to get people talking which indeed it has done. I don't know. All I know is this. The song doesn't need any such help. Little Maddie's dance is a riveting and deeply disturbing performance. You decide for yourself.


Chandelier is a sad, sad song but a strong current of hope runs through it as well - won't look down, won't open my eyes, keep my glass full until morning light, cause I'm just holding on for tonight...1,2,3 drink, 1,2,3 drink... like tomorrow doesn't exist.. I'm gonna fly. Another song that I like from this album is the Eye of the Needle (I've never been able to forget the movie of the same name with Donald Sutherland starring and also Jesus' hyperbolic saying about the rich and the camel through the eye of a needle).

Here's an excerpt from The Guardian which explains Sia's performance (and "experiment" as Sia herself as tweeted):
What makes the 38-year-old's chart success all the more remarkable in this age of non-stop marketing and social media engagement, is that she has consciously avoided selling herself to sell copies of the record. As part of her Billboard cover story last year, she explained her plans to hide in plain sight, writing an “anti-fame manifesto” which began with the call to arms, “If anyone besides famous people knew what it was like to be a famous person, they would never want to be famous.”
Her face does not appear on the 1000 Forms of Fear artwork, and in each public performance of its songs she has found new and amusing ways to remain faceless: employing a young dance star or an actor (such as Lena Dunham) as a stand-in, appearing alongside a male choir or camouflaging herself against a backdrop. The Guradian

Here's the video of Sia performing at the Ellen Generes Show:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.