Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Y'all call it a moment; I call it a life!

This may seem like an odd post on Ash Wednesday but its not at all so. And, you, my dear readers may not have heard Feel this Moment by Miami-born rapper Pitbull and Christina Aguilera but, believe me, your children have. It has a nice, danceable beat and a dear twenty-something introduced me to it just today. Here's a Wikipedia article, if you'd rather read, than click on the youtube video link to the song above (although I highly recommend it). Pitbull has interspersed the much-more familiar 1986 wonder hit Take On Me into this song. Pitbull's lyrics, while not new, can and did provoke a most scintillating conversation with the younger generation.  Hence this post :)

Feel this moment is about living life in the present, with all senses, not worrying about the future. Time is money, Pitbull sang. I said, oh no, it's not; time is *more* than money. Money you can always get but time, once gone, you can never get back. Despite the line, this is also the song's message: Aguilera croons "One day when the light is glowing, I'll be in my castle golden ... feel this moment" in the background, while Pitbull emphasizes: "Y'all call it a moment; I call it a life."

Fernando Ortega sings something along these lines in his The Shadow of Your Wings: Hymns and Sacred Songs album. "The glory of man like a flower that shrivels in the sun and falls" is soul-stirring and comforting in his All Flesh is Like the Grass based on I Peter 1: 24-25 because "The Word of the Lord endures forever." An eternal life of glorious moments is, what we have, grounded in His Word. Ash Wednesday is still a day of Jesus' glory. As we impose ashes, ponder about God's justice and mercy in sending his son to die on the cross for our sins, and penitently discipline ourselves in the days ahead, just go ahead, feel the moments, and live life as its meant to be lived. Fully. In Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.