Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rest in Peace, Raja

Pur-Pleasure Rajabooshanam, 5 March, 1994 - 22 September 2012. Affectionately called Raja and Boochi.

Our first cat, Raja, came to the end of his long battle with Chronic Renal Failure today. Since being diagnosed with CRF about a year ago his health has been in gradual but steady decline. A few weeks ago he was no longer able to jump up onto his favorite couch. Since then his deterioration has been difficult to watch. He lost so much weight – at the end he weighed less than 5 lbs - and I think he could no longer see either due to a detached retina. But he remained alert and responsive to us. Recently his legs failed him completely and he could no longer move around on his own, so today we took him to the vet for the last time. I held him in my arms and he passed away, instantly, peacefully, just after noon. Thanks for keeping us in your prayers as we mourn and miss Raja.

Raja had a long and good life. I recall T.S. Eliot's
The Naming of Cats. According to Eliot every cat should have three names: a fancy name (Pur-Pleasure Rajabooshanam, the name on his CFA registration), an everyday name (Boochi), and one that only the cat knows.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.
Contemplation was certainly one of Boochi's favorite activities! He also loved to spend time with me in the Garden of Grace. He would take a walk in the garden every morning. As his illness progressed, the garden lost its allure for him. He stayed pretty much in his part of the family room - right there in the center - and did not even want to lie on the sunny side, something he and I often did in happier days gone by. I love you and miss you, Raja, but you're not miserable or suffering anymore. I'll never forget how dignified, mysterious and beautiful you were, from the very beginning, when that silly breeder's kid held you the wrong way, to the very end when you snuggled my hair last night and lay in my lap today.

Tonight, I will dream of the time Raja and I will meet again, in the new world, where the wolf will live with the lamb and the leopard shall lie down with a young goat (Isaiah 11: 6-9). We will frolic once more in golden sunshine. Until then, rest in peace, dear Raja.

1 comment:

  1. Peace is all important...for all creation !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, reading, and most of all, for sharing your insight and feedback. I appreciate it very much. You time is very precious as is your generosity in taking the time to encourage me with your comments. Blessings, A