Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Summer Gardening

"Celebrate the Farmer" writes Mark Bittman in a recent New York Times column. Apparently, at dinners and other food events, Bittman has been noticing a growing tendency to laud the growers of the foods being served rather than the chef(s) who prepared them [1].  Now, that's as it should be! Except, I am the farmer and the chef in my home!!! I wonder at this, another growing trend in suburbia. Not just moms or dads, but often entire families are learning to grow some of their own foods. In the process we are recapturing many of our lost connections and caring for a small piece of our beautiful earth. Woo hoo!

Here's what I've been growing and feeding my family this summer:

1) Zucchini - green (black beauty variety) and straightneck yellow squash
2) Bell Peppers - green and chocolate
3) Heirloom Tomatoes - yellow pear, black cherry, pink torpedo, red tequila sunrise, and lemon boy
4) English Cucumbers
5) Eggplants - round, purple ones
6) Artichokes (these have not yet produced anything!)
7) Herbs - Basil, Sage, Borage, Cilantro (died)
8) Greens - Kale, Swiss Chard (red and green), French Sorrel (Kale and Swiss chard are really winter crops and I should not have started them this spring - they wilt too much and attract way too many bugs in the summer).

Anything growing in my greenhouse? Yep! Yellow, orange and red mini bell pepper seeds were started just earlier this week. I also started tamarind and avocado trees from seed and they are about a foot high!

What about my fruit orchard? I have lemons, pomegranates, and oranges growing. I tasted a few apples and lots of blueberries in the spring. The guava tree was recently moved and so I probably will not get guavas until next year. The tree itself appears to be flourishing.

I remember God's promises and am happy. Let's celebrate!

The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest. Psalm 85: 12 (NIV)

"As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease." (NIV)

References: 

1. Bittman, M. (2012) Celebrate the Farmer. New York Time Opinionator, August 21, 2012. Retrieved August 22, 2012, http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/celebrate-the-farmer/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.