Wednesday, March 23, 2011

About Being a Deacon: Flock Letter from the Woods

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is the light in him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

Hello dear flock, Well, the Sun is/was out!! The past several days have been dark, cloudy, cold and rainy as we've been experiencing Southern California's last little bit of winter. Some welcome such blustery weather, even relish it... people in Seattle for instance, or my husband who always thanks God for the rain that nourishes and brings up the water table. I know.. rain usually does bring us showers of blessing. And yet I enjoy the sunlight. We are Florida people and I love it sunshine~y and warm. When I read the above scripture today it reminds me again that in God's love there is no darkness at all, ever! Just his pure radiant truth and light. During this Lenten season, our thoughts focus on Jesus giving himself for us. As believers when we pray we are able to bring everything into God's light; our praise, our thanksgiving, joys as well as the clouds and storms of life to the One who shines his perfect love on our situation. His arms always stay open us. He is able to forgive our sins, heal our hurts, ease our fears and help us to see things more clearly from his perspective. We can find sunshine everyday in His Word as the Holy Spirit guides us. This world may have its cares and troubles, but Jesus said , I have overcome the world. He is the light of the world. Such Good News! And...No umbrella's needed, perhaps just our "Son" glasses.
 
Here's a favorite old hymn I love, by Eliza Edmunds Hewitt. May it brighten your day.

There is sunshine in my soul today, more glorious and bright, than glows in any earthly sky, for Jesus is my light.
There is music in my soul today, a carol to my King, and Jesus, listening, can hear the song I cannot sing.
There is springtime in my soul today, for when the Lord is near; the dove of peace sings in my heart, the flowers of grace appear.
There is gladness in my soul today, and hope and praise and love, for blessings which he gives me now, for joys laid up above.
O there's sunshine, blessed sunshine, while the peaceful happy moment's roll; when Jesus shows His smiling face there is sunshine in my soul!

Don't forget at IPC there are lots of ways to share the sunshine of God's love with others through service projects this Lenten season. Stop by and sign up on the patio. Happy Spring Everyone!!!!

Love from your Deacons Tony and Lori Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.