Monday, September 1, 2008

Leaning Into Living

I attended the IPC summer mini-retreat that was held August 22-23, 2008. Lauraetta Patterson was the featured speaker and she gave three talks: 1) "Staying Focused": Leaning into clear vision, 2) "Staying Steady": Keeping the view from the peak, and 3) "Staying Hopeful": Pressing into prayer with Jesus. Her talks asked questions that I'd asked and provided answers that corroborated the answers God has given me. Lauretta was a funny and engaging speaker who spoke God's truth very clearly but I won't dwell here on the details she shared. Instead, I will paint a broad picture of the truths she shared. Most of us have accepted Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and are trying to live our lives with him as our Lord and Master. In other words, we've submitted to him and continue to want to submit to him more fully. We want to keep our eyes focused on him and live now but for eternity. How can we do that? Remember the first question and answer in the Westminster Catechism? It goes like this: Question: What is the chief and highest end of man? Answer: Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy him forever. Most of us forget the part about enjoying God. We enjoy God when we submit, rest, call, hear and follow him (Psalm 86; Romans 11:36; Revelation 4:11; Psalm 16:6; and Luke 2. Finally, Proverbs 4:25-26 exhorts us "Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm." Thus, we glorify and enjoy God happens when we are faithful, in the small things to which he has called us, for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO ANITA!

    I fully understand , appreciate and practice what you have written. It is about 5 years I am walking with God and I am seeing Him move in mighty ways in all our lives!

    Love

    arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely !
    One of the first concepts which caught me as a new believer was that of Glorifying God ! I happened to read John Piper on this. How did I get onto John Piper? Completely Spirit led !
    Check out his view, and BTW I would like to agree with him, on this aspect:
    http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/2006/1797_We_Want_You_to_Be_a_Christian_Hedonist/

    Hey, you know what?,
    you can't overdose on HIM !

    Thanks and keep it flowing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.