Sunday, June 8, 2008

Christ: In my past and in my future

My motto: Eyes on Christ. The two year anniversary since I came back to Christ is drawing near. Thanks to the abundant, amazing grace of God, my eyes continue to be on Christ and it seems to be entirely appropriate to journal my past and my future. So, what brought me back to Christ? Believe it or not, it was the Gita. The Bhagavad Gita, as it is popularly called, is one of India's most sacred texts and yet, I had never read it until 2006. I read it in my 46th year, twenty three years after leaving India. I was astonished at how short it was especially when compared to the Christian Bible, which is what I read almost daily until I was thirty three. The Gita's 18 chapters took me less than three weeks to finish, a chapter a day. Three things captivated me about the Gita: 1) It is a conversation about the meaning of life on the eve of a horrific battle; 2) It exhorted me to "offer my unbelief" (in God) to God; 3) It encouraged me to use rituals and visuals to imagine God's presence in my life, every thought, every dream, every nanosecond. From there it was but a short step, for me, back to Jesus. Today, if you're hurting, happy, confused, sad, whatever your frame of mind or season of life, I share with you these words from the Bible: Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4: 28 Join me and invite him into your life with the unceasing prayer: Maranatha (Come, Lord)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me with your feedback. Blessings.